Did you know that April 1st is National Walking Day? The American Heart Association encourages everyone to “Get Up & Move” today. There are so many reasons to walk. Why do you walk?
Benefits of Walking (provided by the American Heart Association)
- Walking can reduce the risk of coronary heart disease
- Improve cholesterol
- Improve blood pressure and blood sugar levels
- Improve blood lipid profile
- Promote weight loss, maintain body weight and lower risk of obesity
- Enhance mental well being
- Increase energy
Tips for Better Walking
- Push off your toes and hip. This will provide for proper kinetic propulsion and alignment.
- Use long strides to involve more muscles and provide for tissue lengthening.
- Keep legs close together. This keeps the legs under the hips for improved balance and stability.
- Move your shoulders as you stride for proper gait and body rotation.
- Focus on your surroundings and avoid looking at the ground when walking to keep you in proper posture alignment.
Blog post by Alan Harrison.