Tight hamstrings and IT bands are an issue for many people (especially athletes!), so today I’m sharing a great way to take care of those areas with a simple stretch you can do right at home!
For this stretch you’ll need a yoga strap if you have one, if not a belt, dog leash or rolled up towel will work perfectly fine. As always remember to listen to your body and only go to the point where you feel a gentle stretch, if you feel pain you went too far.
- A yoga strap, belt or towel
- Begin laying on your back with both legs extended out on the ground
- Bend up your right leg and place the strap, blanket or a rolled up towel around the ball or arch of your right foot
- Extend the leg with the strap straight up towards the ceiling keeping the foot flexed and leg active
- Hold and take 3-5 breaths here to lengthen and stretch the hamstring muscle
IT BAND STRETCH
- Move the strap to your left hand and slowly cross the right leg towards the left side of the body until you feel a gentle stretch on the outside of your right leg (that’s your IT band!)
- Hold and take 3-5 breaths here to stretch the IT band
Repeat the sequence on the other side.
Done regularly these simple stretches can do wonders for that pesky hamstring and IT band tightness!
Don’t forget you can join me on the mat Monday and Thursday mornings at 8:30am at Mashpee Fitness!
Blog post by Danielle Nardi.